Friday, March 16, 2007

A token of his (hillbilly) affection

My 9yo runs into the house from outside and says, "Mom, I made something for you!" I tell him to wait one second while I finish the dishes and he goes to wait outside. This usually inantimate child is BUBBLING with anticipation as I come outside to see, what could possibly get him so riled up to show me. I follow him behind the laundry shed where I see a heart, carefully drawn (by liquid) in the sandy dirt back there. I'm a loser so my first words were, "Where'd you get the water? Did you bring the cup back inside" Yeah, I know - but I'd just spent an hour collecting silverware from the air/heating ducts and cups from the bathtub and so forth so cut me some slack. His little face falls a little and he seems hesitant to answer. I started to ask again, "Honey, where did you get the wa----Oh. That's not water is it son?"

"No, it's p.e.e - I had to go really bad and couldn't hold it so I made a heart for you!" He was back to full happy animation again.

Er, um. I fought EVERY bit of my mothers city-girl blood I have in me and I swallowed hard. I envisioned my child on a psychiatrists couch one day talking about how mean and unappreciative I am. So, I grit my teeth in a perma-smile and said, "Oh, that's really sweet honey. But next time, if you absolutely have to go outdoors, could you go in the corner or something?" "OK mom". And he runs off playing, happy and oblivious to my inner turmoil.

Please tell me my child will not be proposing to his girlfriend one day colorfully in the snow?

3 comments:

andie said...

What a thoughtful boy. I have no idea whether he's on his way to life in an institution (in which case, maybe he and my boy can be roomies?!) or if it's just normal boy stuff ;) but it sure makes for good reading!

Dy said...

LMAO. I think it's so sweet. But then, I get compliments like, "Of course I married you for your mind... dumbass."

Honestly, my fear wouldn't be that he'd propose that way - my fear is the woman who will be okay w/ it and say yes... ACK!

I can't believe you actually asked where he got the water... that one's going to have me giggling for days.
Dy

Rebel said...

I laughed so hard at this that I had to read the post to my husband. It sounds like something KJ would have done at that age.
Rebel