Saturday, March 10, 2007

Nerd Radio

I mean this most affectionately for all you hammers out there. If you think I'm making fun of heavy people (I'm one of them) then you have no idea what I'm talking about. Ham (or Amateur) radio, affectionately dubbed as "nerd radio" by me has taken over my house. My house is full of wires and homemade antennas which goes very well with my trailer trash decor. Goes great with busted storm door leaning against the front of the house for the world to see. Anyway, every other weekend it seems there is a nerd radio event. Back when I could see my feet I was really into CB radio and DH knows that so he keeps trying to get me excited about Nerd Radio too. Resistance is futile, I know that but so far, pretending I have forgotten how to speak English has bought me some time. I told him I was hypnotized as a child and anytime someone says the word "radio" I turn into a Puerto Rican woman from the 18th Century - no comprende.

Why am I so narrow minded about the Nerd Radio stuff? I'm really being sarcastic, that's what this blog is about, an outlet for the snarky inner me that usually has to shut up and be good. I do realize how cool it is but it's much more fun to call it Nerd Radio to get my husbands goat. ;-) There's something awesome about a form of communication that can't go down, even in the most dire of emergencies. In fact, people count on the Hammers in situations like the Tsunami and Hurricane Katrina. And my husband can't wait to wrassle-sum-tornada's (storm chase) this spring. So I'm losing the point, something I frequently do so get used to it now. :0/ I'm simply narrow minded because it's fun. And it's secretely all an act since I respect the hobby but if you tell my husband I will drop my children off at your front porch the next time we have a stomach virus.

Living in a Ham House is like being part of some secret (predominantly male) club. Sometimes strange men just stop by and speak in letters. Once our pizza guy kept DH at the front door for 20 minutes talking about his new ham license while I was hiding in the kitchen in my PJ's S-T-A-R-V-I-N-G at like 2am. And the next time we ordered late the man brought his radio to show off! One time we were eating breakfast out, minding our own business and DH had his mini-nerd-radio with him (his excuse was we needed to know the weather - ha!). All of a sudden a cop came to our table and I did a quick kid count to make sure we weren't missing any (kidding!) but it turns out he too was a hammer and in fact he's become quite chummy with my hubster. Hey, it's always handy to have a cop friend right? lol

Honestly, all sarcasm aside (I know, what fun is that?), these are a great and respectful group of men and women. But it's still nerdy. Pwwfftttttttttttt!

Besides, there's no other hobby where I'd be proud when DH's friends call me a "good ham wife" rofl.

JLynn

2 comments:

Rebel said...

Yay! I like the new blog except for the ummm...picture. It scares the h**l out of me.
Rebel

J-Lynn said...

ROFL that's the idea. Did you click on it full size to get the full effect? You can tell KJ if he doesn't listen to you you're sending him to my house. LOL