Saturday, June 2, 2007

Doggie drug deal

The puppies are hanging in there. We've been feeding them the Rebound electrolyte replacement VIA dropper every hour. They've had moments where they got up, they've both urinated. Then tonight they drank too much water on their own and well, I'll spare you the disgusting messy details. My husband said he wanted to clean the bathroom for me but he couldn't do it, it smelled so bad. Wuss. ;-)

Tonight I read and read about Parvo and ways to help them recover and we kept coming back to something called Parvaid. There were 2 retailers in my state so we call both. The one woman was a fellow NY'er and she agreed to meet us. So we set the puppies up with some warm towels and water (mistake) and lots of newspaper and head out. The kids fall asleep shortly after we take off and finally, at 10pm we get to our meeting place. We get off the highway and turn and we see nothing but darkness. Then, as we get by an overpass we see a car turn their lights on and off. Things were getting creepy. I never did anything harder than those "funny cigarrettes" as a kid but I was beginning to understand what a crack deal looked and felt like. As I head out of the van (with DH) with my money in hand I just prayed that no police drive by. And boy was I thankful I wasn't wearing knee highs and a mini skirt. ;-) Regardless, we sure looked suspicious. Them passing me syringes and vials and amber glass bottles of things while I'm handing them money they're counting by flashlight. ROFL

Thankfully they were nice people. Herbalist people. Herbalist yankee transplants, kindred spirits. ;-)

So, we're armed with some doggy herb remedies and feeling more confident that they'll make it through this. I am really, really, REALLY tired of nurturing and cleaning though. ;-)

2 comments:

melissa said...

o.k. wait-wait. I'm lost. puppies? drug deals? Going to read more. I'll be back.

Rebel said...

OMG! I can just see your "drug deal" going down. It would have actually been kind of funny to see the expression on a policeman's face if you had to explain what you were doing.