Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I couldn't take it anymore...

I woke up poor DH this morning rather unpleasantly. One of the other traps caught a teeny tiny mouse and we heard it squeaking. My 7yo DD was visibly upset. Even the boys were feeling a bit uneasy. I'm not a member of PETA by any means but I don't want to listen to anything suffer, it was really, really bothering me.

I let DH sleep as long as I could stand it then I went into our bedroom and placed the trap (mouse still in it) on the bedside table and as DH is fluttering awake I said, "There, now YOU can listen to it screaming because I'm not going to any longer!"

Not one of my finer moments but DH has been so sweet and tolerant of my tyrades lately. He got up, took care of the mouse and we've decided on a different means of ridding ourselves of the mice from this point on. *whew*

4 comments:

Thom said...

I shoot, skin and gut deer, squirrels and turkey for recreation and sustenance. But I.can.NOT.watch a mouse suffer on a glue trap, LOL!

When I was a teenager, I actually freed one by applying vegetable oil to his fur and gently working him off of the sticky stuff. Despite the fact that he'd been keeping me awake all night for a week prior to catching him, I set him free in the woods.

I find the old fashioned snap traps do the trick--quick and painless--I just have to keep the dogs from sticking their noses in them! :0D

Rebel said...

We are surrounded by fields and woods. I see tiny mice outside all the time and 90% of the time, they are doing the same thing...running for their lives. Chickens and guineaus love mice. I hate seeing them kill and eat mice, buuuuut we've never had one get inside the house.

You need an indoor chicken (they make bird diapers) and you'll never have to worry about mice again.

melissa said...

Yeah- there's something about those glue traps, man. I can't take it either.

We got a cat. Never had mouse trouble again.

But the kids have had luck with live traps outside. Of course then they want to keep them as pets...sheesh.

In the past week Jack has brought in a SHREW(had never even SEEN one before), a mole, a toad, a snapping turtle and umpteen other water creatures from the creek. Feel my pain.

Dy said...

I'm w/ Thom - snap traps are the way to go. (Just remember where you put them so you can check them regularly. LOL!)

Dy