Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Outsmarted...

...by a mouse. DH came home with those hideous glue traps to finally get rid of the mice we've been having visit lately. Well, we caught one and then today we learned they are pretty darn smart. One took a bunch of junk it found around the house and laid it across the glue so it could walk on the trap to get to the seeds in the middle!!! We're amazed by that. I think DH may go for the $20 electrocuting trap next. rofl I'm kidding, I think.

So tonight we're driving home from a busy night. My oldest is in a good mood and he sighs deeply and happily from the passenger seat and says, "I think we should write a book" "About what?", I ask. "About our family. When we grow up we could all write some and put it together and bring it to playgroup and stuff to read." It's a good feeling when they're happy enough they want to share it with the world. :-)

Speaking of sharing with the world. Those of you that have known me awhile know that I have some difficulties with my middle son. The screaming in public fits are getting fewer and far between but they're still there, especially when he's tired. Well tonight he whined about "just wooking" (looking) at a video game. I told him we would go look at it after we were done shopping. So, true to my word I took him back to the video game aisle to just look. I was clear. WHen he asked if we could buy the game I told him no, we were just looking. He had a minor meltdown. I told him my usual, "I will talk to you when you calm down" and the other kids and I were having a blast playing this American Idol Karaoke video game. I tried to get him to join in but once his mind is made up that's it, he thinks of little else. So while I'm singing "Proud Mary" at the top of my lungs and dancing in the aisles with the other kids while playing this game he is VERY upset. After we were done and started to leave he got increasingly upset. I repeated that he never got things from me by throwing a fit. And that we were NOT buying anything like that today. I told him to ask for his birthday. But he was just overtired and throwing a fit. I've gotten good at not caring about being in public and doing what I need to do for my family. We checked out and he was reasonably quiet but still crying. As we left the store he started dragging the cart so I couldn't push it. My friend was with me and she pushed my cart while I picked him up and carried him to the car. It's a wonder no one called the cops on me for kidnapping some frantic child. lol I put the other kids in and sat in the parking lot with him holding him while he cried. It didn't help and I had to wrestle him into the car but I knew he'd calm down once he was in his seat. My middle son has never shown remorse for these fits before. So it was like a shining beacon of light, like angels singing and harps playing when we were driving a few minutes later and he said: "Mommy, I'm really sorry I acted like that."

My gosh he's growing up guys!!! He's growing OUT of it!!! He will be a normal functioning adult one day, I got a glimpse of that today. God will use his strong will for good. And I praise God for letting me see that in him today. It was the best gift ever. I love that guy so much. He's got a great heart but he's so much work sometimes the rewards are harder to see. But when they come they are huge like this. It was awesome!

OK - I'm exhausted! I'll have pics to post soon...

Oh, the question of the day is if there's a guy selling bonsai trees on the side of the road why would he have an enlarged framed photo of JFK in front of them? I swear sometimes I find the strangest people...

1 comment:

Jules said...

Wow! That's one smart mouse! I am impressed. Is there something in the water where you live? ;)

I had to post about your son and his fit throwing. I had one like that- sometimes he still is like that. But it does seem to be getting better. (he's 8) We've had our share of public tantrums and many times I marched out of whatever store without my stuff because he was raising holy hell.

So- no words of advice here- but I just wanted you to know I've BTDT and it does get better. ;)