Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mothers Day

My mom sent me this VIA e-mail and I thought it was the perfect tribute for Mother's Day.

"So, we had this great 10 year old cat named Jack who just
recently died. Jack was a great cat and the kids would carry him
around and sit on him and nothing ever bothered him. He used to
hang out and nap all day long on this mat in our bathroom.

Well we have 3 kids and at the time of this story they were
4 years old, 3 years old and 1 year old. The middle one is Eli. Eli really
loves chapstick. LOVES it. He kept asking to use my chapstick and
then losing it. So finally one day I showed him where in the
bathroom I keep my chapstick and how he could use it whenever he
wanted to but he needed to put it right back in the drawer when he was done.
>
Last year on Mother's Day, we were having the typical rush
around and try to get ready for Church with everyone crying and
carrying on. My two boys are fighting over the toy in the cereal
box. I am trying to nurse my little one at the same time I am putting on my make-up.
Everything is a mess and everyone has long forgotten that this is a wonderful day
to honor me and the amazing job that is motherhood.

We finally have the older one and the baby loaded in the car
and I am looking for Eli. I have searched everywhere and I finally
round the corner to go into the bathroom. And there was Eli. He was
applying my chapstick very carefully to Jack's . . . Rear end.Eli
looked right into my eyes and said "chapped." Now if you have a cat, you know that he is right--their little butts do look pretty chapped. And, frankly, Jack didn't
seem to mind.

And the only question to really ask at that point was whether it
was the FIRST time Eli had done that to the cat's behind or the hundredth.

And THAT is my favorite Mother's Day moment ever because it reminds
us that no matter how hard we try to civilize these glorious little
creatures, there will always be that day when you realize they've
been using your chapstick on the cat's butt."


HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

4 comments:

melissa said...

(GASP!) My mom sent me the same thing today!!

Melora said...

Now That is funny. Way funnier than when I caught my son using my hairbrush on the dog. Kids are so gross, the little darlings.

staceyhoff said...

Ahhh ha ha ha

- I wonder if it would have occured to me that there could have been previous 'applications'?

* shudder!*

staceyhoff said...

hey, great post on male leadership by the way. Figured I'd say so up here, because you might never see this comment down there.
Don't worry about spanking Christian mom, it is the yelling that God is not pleased with (I struggle here too.) As long as we spank in love, and not when we are mad, we obey the scriptures :

Proverbs 23:13-14,
Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die. Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death." Remember, Ghandi was No Savior: so, what God has to say trumps whatever he has to say ;) so don't worry about hurting them emotionally, they know they need discipline and appriciate boundaries even though it may not seem like it ;)