Sunday, April 22, 2007

The infamous Wedding Meme

Everyone else did it! ;-)

1. Where/How did you meet? DH and I don't agree. He says he first met me at the firehouse, I say we met once at a carnival. I remember because I scoffed my nose at the 21yo riding a bike in the Pink Floyd t-shirt. ;-) He says he saw me at a FD parade but I didn't see him. So, the first time we agree to have seen each other was at the Firehouse on the day we were both sworn in (August 1st, 1996). Me like men in uniform.
2. How long have you known each other? It will be 11 years this August
3. How long after you met did you start dating? "Funny" story, he had a girlfriend he didn't tell me about before we dated. He tried to kiss me one night and I told him I didn't kiss other peoples boyfriends. I was a bad girl but not that bad. ;-) He came to my job one night and told me he broke up with his g/f. I was a bit disturbed how happy he was telling me the news but I knew he really liked me so we went full speed ahead into speed dating mode.
4. How long did you date before you were engaged? OK, in our world "engaged" means "pregnant" so 4 months until we found out we were expecting. ;-) I remember being so nervous how he would react but he reacted better than I did. He was extremely excited to start a family.
5. How long was your engagement? 11 months, DS#1 was 1 month and 2 days old at our wedding.
6. How long have you been married? It will be 10 years this November - wow! Who'd have thunk?
7. What is your anniversary? November 8th.
8. How many people came to your wedding reception? I dunno, I didn't know half of them, met most of his family there. LOL Probably 50ish?
9. What kind of cake did you serve? I have no idea, I remember hearing stories of my dad cursing the whole way from the bakery because the cake was sliding everywhere, it was tiered. My youngest SIL bought the topper as a gift to us.
10. Where was your wedding? At a Mormon church, nope, we're not Mormon, it was just the cheapest and Geo's family used to be Mormon. The Lutherans wanted $500 PLUS classes. It was a shotgun wedding (OK so a late shotgun wedding. We don't have time for stinkin' classes!
11. What did you serve for your meal? Well, no coffee, no liquor (remember, it was Mormon), oh 'cept for the Coca Cola that the BISHOP was drinking. :-O My dad did an AWESOME job and catered it all by himself. He owned a deli and he made all my favorite things, swedish meatballs, baked ziti, chicken marsala (I think), sausage and peppers. Damn I'm hungry!
12. How many people were in your wedding party? My mom was my Matron of Honor, my friend Nat was the Maid of Honor, and a friend Heidi a bridesmaid. DH had his best friend Greg and his friend Giovanni.
13. Are you still friends with them all? My mom of course, Michelle and I keep in touch VIA e-mail, same with Natalie although she's a dietician now so I call for advice occassionally. Heidi became a strict Jehovah Witness and I don't talk to her much except when she sends me religious material through the mail (lol). We haven't talked to Giovanni since he stood us up the last time we moved (we tried), and Geo's still best friends with Greg, we just got back from his wedding in fact. ;-)
14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony? No but his foot was tapping like crazy (nervous habit), we make fun of it on the tape now. ;-) My parents may have cried in despair...haha
15. Most special moment of your wedding day? Honestly? When it was over. I was extremely uncomfortable during the whole thing. Probably eating was my favorite part. Or when I danced with my dad. We had a really great time laughing and joking (OK and making fun of people). And we both teared a little (had something in our eye).
16. Any funny moments? Well, I was wearing heels and I'm taller anyway so when we started to dance I kicked my shoes off into the crowd. Also my ring didn't fit during the ceremony. hehe
17. Any big disasters? One of my best friends at the time thought she was pregnant and told me in the bathroom where she cried and I consoled her. LOL Geo's uncle couldn't handle not drinking so he took his flask to the parking lot. hehe
18. Where did you go on your honeymoon? *sigh* Open up old wounds shall we? For some reason everyone was just TOO busy to take our son on our wedding night. So, we took him to the hotel suite at the Hilton we were spending the night in. Well, he was never formula fed before and my dress made it impossible to breastfeed so we had family give him bottles at the wedding (I would have done it different today) and they bought formula with IRON for a baby not used to it. So, he kept us awake ALL.NIGHT.LONG in the hotel room. DH and I tag teamed pushing him in the stroller around the suite or rocking him. Every hour we switched off. Romantic. Then in the morning DH took a bath with him and there was a poop explosion. We still talk about that today. LOL Oh and of course today everyone claims they could have watched him. ;-) We're waiting till their grown then we're going on a long luxorious honeymoon!
19. How long were you gone? Just one long.... agonizing... night.
20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change? I'm not sure. Back then I don't know what I would have changed. Today I would have only invited family we enjoy, probably have the ceremony outside, and enough money saved for a long vacation. Oh and we'd definately have alcohol.
21. What side of the bed do you sleep on? Wherever there's a spot.
22. What size is your bed? California King.
23. Greatest strength as a couple? Divorce isn't in our vocabulary, well OK it is but we know it's not a valid option for us. We both love our children and we're both extremely loyal to each other. We both love the Lord.
24. Greatest challenge as a couple? We are both pig headed and strong willed and defiant. We both like to spend more money then we have. We can both be selfish at times as well. Hey, how come the challenges were easier than the strengths to come up with? lol
25. Who literally pays the bills? Whoever gets the cut-off notice! haha Seriously, we both do, depends on who's in the mood to do it at the time, or we barter and/or draw straws.
26. What is your song? Well our wedding song was "How Do I Live" by Leanne Rimes. But I like to say it's Still the One by Shania Twain. Especially the part that says "They said, "I bet they'll never make it" But just look at us holding on We're still together still going strong "
27. What did you dance your first dance to? See above. Then we danced to "Baby Mine" with our son.
28. Describe your wedding dress: On clearance at Davids Bridal. It was really pretty and fancy, a bit of Scarlett O'Hara and a bit Rennaisance. It had a huge train and ruffles. My MIL made a beautiful veil. The Bishop wasn't happy it was off the shoulders but I really didn't care. I'll post a picture if I remember.
29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding? My MIL made the arrangements. I'll have to look at the pictures to see. She did an awesome job, she really kicks ass - she's multi-talented!
30. Are your wedding bands engraved? I don't think they are. I don't even know where they are. I got pregnant, DH got fat (OK, I got fat too) and for awhile I wore it around my neck then gave that up too. I wear a fake engagement ring to keep the pervies away. Neither one of us wear wedding rings.
31. How old were you when you got married? I just turned 19 and DH just turned 23. Yeah, we were babies.

OK, that took over an hour. Which is why I don't do those things! But my coffee date cancelled and DH has been playing WoW all day longggggggggggg (I only played half the day) so I had to conjure up some good memories so I don't cop an attitude. ;-) I think I'm going to go have some coffee alone with a good book!

3 comments:

Rebel said...

Awwwww, I actually think having the baby join the honeymoon is pretty sweet...except for the crying of course.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

You made Ernie and I laugh our asses off, for this post and "How to tell when a Catholic is driving too fast..." :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.