Monday, August 13, 2007

The saga continues...

Well, I went to the Post Office on Saturday. I stopped most of my shaking by praying ferverntly all the way there and then while I was on line. I just couldn't calm myself down. I have a very long fuse when it comes to flipping out, I don't flip out when most people do but for some reason this just got to me bad. When I told DH about my experience on the phone and all that he says, "You know something? I really like it when you're really angry and it's not at me".

OK, OK so I'm at the post office. An older kind woman asks how she can help me. She tells me to fill out a "resume mail" form and come back to her. I do this and she disappears to get my mail. 10 minutes later the woman comes back with a big stocky man. "Uh oh, I knew it coudln't be this easy". I asked him if he was the postmaster and he told me no but he was a superviser. He did have my mail in his hand *whew* and had me fill out a "I promise I won't let my dog even look at the pansy ass mailman" card and sign it in blood. Or something like that. I told him we installed a target for teenagers with bats curbside mailbox as we were told.

Next I reiterated the entire story and my disappointments with this particular office to the supervisor. He basically said in gov't speak that my regular mailman had no problem with us but this sub-mailman was terrified of dogs. Er d'oh - maybe we should pick a DIFFERENT profession?!?! I explained I wasn't trying to justify my dog scaring him and that I understand it's got to be a hazard with the job and scary but I didn't believe he conducted himself in a professional manner. Then I went on to say how both my parents were in customer service and the woman I spoke to on the phone should NEVER have gotten snotty and talked down to me. That I didn't attack her personally, I was just upset with the situation. He must not be from around here because he handled himself completely professionally and kindly. ;-) We shook hands and made peace before I left. I felt like a weight has been lifted.
Sounds all nice right? Well except for the last chapter hasn't been written quite yet. Mail was not delivered again to us today to either mailbox. We did recieve our follow up call from the government and I swear Eartha Kitt left a voicemail on my phone. She said they were calling about my complaint and that they called my local office on Friday but the Postmaster was away from his office and he still hasn't called her back as of today. Frustrating but at least they're dealing with problems as well!

DH and I have some various fantasies (as in we-wouldn't-do-this-in-real-life-so-back-off). a) putting a sensor on the mailbox so when it's opened you hear the sound of a pack of Rottweilers. b) a sensor that sings Snoop Doggy Doggs' rendition of "Who let the Dogs Out" or DH's idea: c) we just chain our dog to the mailbox so they can play chicken. ;-) WWYD?

6 comments:

crystal said...

I won't belittle your situation. It's very frustrating but let me give you some insight from an insider.
The very first thing that the post office trains a mail man to do is to never ever ever ever ever under any circumstances EVER put yourself in a situation where a dog can get at you.
A sock shaker
a fluffy curly poodle
a chihuahua
a rottwieler
a mutt
It doesn't matter.
They brainwash the mail people to believe (and in many cases it's true) that they WILL loose their job if they get bit and the union will not back them.
I've been through the holy terror that is Post office mind training.
and guess what? The post office is not a government organization. Intersting huh?
So while your local post office man gave you all that bull crap about it was the carriers fault,, it's probably not at all. The only thing they're worried about is loosing a decent job.

J-Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J-Lynn said...

I feel like besides the fact that my carrier was a screaming lunatic and refused to accept any apology from me or even look me in the eyes after I called my dog inside, he did not have to file any reports. It was at his own discretion. Both the main office and the local post office (twice) told me that.

Like I said in my post below (please read if you haven't already) I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm just extremely pissed on the mistreatment I'm getting from *every*one, including this particular carrier. I know there are a LOT of great carriers out there, we've had mostly great carriers but this particular guy did NOT handle himself well at all. And the fact I did not receive mail again TODAY is really bothering me.

Anyway, we'll see how the chapter ends. I'm sure there's bureacracy going on behind the scenes but the bottom line is the customers should NOT have to suffer for it, KWIM?

As for the gov't thing, no I did not know it wasn't part of our gov't. It's like it's own little gov't now though isn't it? Thanks for schoolin' me on that point though - I appreciate it!

Emily said...

I am so sorry that you have to go through all of this crap, but your post had me ROFL!!

As for WIWD with the mailbox fantasy?? I would change it up from week-to-week. Ya' know, really mess with their heads! MUWAHAHAHA!!

Anonymous said...

Your DH is so funny!!!! Those WWYD were just too funny!!
Hugs
Lisa

So Cal Peeper said...

One of our local postmen just recently had his face partially ripped off by a 'friendly' dog.

I felt bad for the guy. He's recovering, but I'm sure he's going to be dog shy, and I wonder if he'll be able to do his job again. i even felt bad for the owner of the dog, as he was out of town when the incident occurred. At the hearing, he was begging to save his dog.

I think it's going to be euthanized.

But your story was funny.