Thursday, August 9, 2007

Just another reason I'm registering with the Libertarian Party this year.

Yes, it's official, I'm libertarian. I am tired of the false sense of self-control living here. Today I had a prime example that the gov't can do whatever it darn well pleases. *sigh*

3 days ago my dogs went out back with the kids to play. Sheba, the medium sized one is especially not allowed out unsupervised because she figures out how to get out of the fence and the kids often forget. They're no longer allowed to have her out with them but after they came in I asked where the dogs were. They said they were out back (grrr) and I heard barking out front as if on cue. I opened the front door and saw Sheba under my van barking at the mailman. I immediately called her and she ran inside with her tail between her legs (she really is friendly & submissive, if you were walking down the street and called her she'd want to be loved on) RIGHT AWAY. I then looked at the mailman, crouched down and terrified with his hand on his mace can. I apologized profusely and told him she was all bark and no bite but that I was really sorry she got out. He was visibly shaken and just started yelling at me that "that was way too close, she was 2 ft away - 2 ft away". I again apologized and said it wouldn't happen again but he was still yelling so I just turned around and went inside. So 2 days go by and I don't get any mail. None. Not even a junk flyer. I'm beginning to get suspicious and today after no more mail again I called the local post office. They transferred me to a woman who told me that there was in fact, a hold on my mail. Be prepared to get upset folks - this gets bad. I was not the "turn the other cheek Christian" I should have been but at the same time, I did not personally attack this woman - keep that in mind.

So there's a hold on my mail. "How do I get my mail?" I ask. "You have to put a curbside mailbox in line with the curb for him to deliver again" I asked how I could get it until then, if I could pick it up. "We may allow you to pick it up once, if you're not hostile" she says. OK, at this point I became hostile. Let me reiterate I did not personally attack this woman or the mailman involved however tempting that was. I did though, get snippy about the whole ordeal and how it was being handled and their stupid policies. Anyone in customer service knows that you should handle the hostile person calmly and even apologetically as long as it's not personal, correct? That's how I have seen it anyway and both my parents dealt/deal with the public on a regular basis. My mom in fact is a customer service (sales and service) manager. I asked the woman how much a curbside mailbox would cost me (I didnt' know if they provided me with one). With a snotty tone she replied back, "I don't know, you have to go to LOWES or WALMART and get it yourself" implying a) I was an idiot for asking her and b) she didn't give a crap where I got it from or how much it cost. It was after that that I lost it, "So, because my dog got out one time and didn't bite the mailman I have to pay money out of pocket for this?". I was livid. I don't even remember the rest of the banter but I thought there was NO way possible that they could keep my mail from me.

So I called the government USPS hotline and guess what folks? They can!

Having mail is a priviledge apparently, not a right. Not just getting it delivered but allowed to have access to it AT ALL. They can keep me from my mail indefinately. It's up to the local post offices discretion according to the gov't agent. So it's up to my little towns corrupt office whether or not I'm considered too hostile to be allowed entry. And of course by now I'm sure that's how they classify me. I am LIVID folks, absolutely floored.

I'd like to bring the Pony Express back so this crap doesn't happen. Besides, horses could kick a dogs butt. *sigh*

So I have to wait 24 hours for my complaint to filter through to see what happens. The gov't didn't agree with the way the local office handled it so we'll see. But my husband and father are taxpayers in this house and how dare they refuse us service? Picking it up at least!

I do understand him being scared and I'm not justifying my dog getting out. I just think it's a sad world we live in when he can't accept my apology and reassurance that it won't happen again (or maybe even take a second to establish rapport with my dog). And the worst part of all of this was when I asked her why they didn't notify me of this mail holding she told me "We knew you'd eventually figure it out and call" THE NERVE!!! But the gov't didnt' say anything about this either. I just feel so frustrated and like they blew this out of proportion. I'm not the enemy, it was a mistake and no one was hurt thank God.

I'm going to try to be calm and let justice happen. But I am voting libertarian and I'm all for bringing the pony express back. LOL Hey, I'd get my mail sooner. ;-)

4 comments:

Jenn said...

MMmmmm....Pony Express. Do you remember that television series in the late 80's/early 90's based on a group of Express riders. One of them was actually a girl in disguise. Yeah, bring back the hot pony express riders....

Emily said...

Things like this drive me out.of.my.mind!!!! And when it is the gov't it makes it that much worse for me. I guess, you know, 'cause I'm paying to be treated crappy.

Keep up the good fight. It's not right or left, but right and wrong.


LOL @ Pony Express comment from Jenn!! (Loved that show!)

Thom said...

That really sucks. Perhaps you could call your Postmaster and speak to him personally about the problem--let him know what the ACTUAL situation was and how you've been treated by HIS employees. I would definitely raise some cain (very politley,of course:0)


"Young Riders" was the show, I think.

Rebel said...

Enquiring minds want to know what finally ever happened? Were you able to pick up your mail? I read this post to my dh and I thought he was going to blow a gasket.