Monday, July 2, 2007

You need to get yourself a few of these...

Good friends.

I can honestly say I have an overabundance of really great girlfriends. There isn't one that I'm closest too or one I go to for everything, there's a variety of very different type of women in my life. The woman I go to depends on the situation I'm in at the time. It just feels right.

When I first moved to this town I prayed desperately for just one good friend. Thankfully God is smarter than I and gave me lots of different ones. In high school I had mostly guy friends but I always had one best friend. The best friend cycled between about 4 girls growing up although I kept in touch with them all but for some reason, it just felt wrong to have more than 1 best friend at a time. I had to eat, sleep, and be together of every waking minute with the chosen girl. Looking back, it really wasn't healthy at all and most of the time more heartbreak was caused than joy. But that's just how it is growing up.

I have felt guilty a bit lately because I limit my childrens time with other kids. They play every Thursday at a playgroup with lot of other families and we do usually have lunch or get together with a family 1-on-1 about once a week or so. But I ixnay the best friend thing all together. They have favorite children for different things (football playing, philosophical discussions, fort building) but they don't have ONE friend they need to be with ALL.THE.TIME.

I realized last night that's OK! As I had a Mother's Night Out with 3 of my friends, 2 of which I don't get to see very often at all, I realized how blessed I am to have a variety. The dynamics are never the same. There isn't much drama anymore, hardly any gossip or politics. Just enjoying who was brought together this time. We laughed and laughed and talked deep things as well until 1am last night. I sat and listened and gleaned so much wisdom from them as well. They're all in a later season of life than I and I loved being able to hear both their regrets and their more positive choices in raising their children.

The best part of it all is I know it could be a year until I see them all again in similiar circumstance (we see each other during childrens activities more often). But that's OK. I know we'll just pick up where we left off. And it may never be just us again and that's OK too.

I love the freedom of healthy female relationships!

2 comments:

Rebel said...

I whole heartedly agree with everything you said here. I also have a variety of friends.

Ka- oldest friend, met in high school and talk on phone daily, only see each other about once a year, can discuss anything with her

Di - curriculum discussing friend, similar educational philosophy, doesn't think I'm overly anal

Deb - best friend to just relax with, easy-going, can have silence and not be uncomfortable, very down-to-earth, probably whom I'm most comfortable with that lives locally

Ke - best friend to have long conversations with, similar reading taste, generous of heart

T - best friend to laugh with, can tell a good story, very considerate

Okay, maybe I should do my own blog post...lol

If we can still afford the gas, KJ and I are still planning our going visiting trip the first week of August.

andie said...

And just wait til Boob Run becomes reality, Jess! :)